Breaking news – Introducing Google+ Pages and Twitter Activity
The recent entry of Google+ has stirred the entire Social Media space in a big way. Facebook has just changed its interface and introduced various concepts like Groups to counter-attack Google+. I think it is just a start. This is a hot boiling place to watch…
We have the two big (if you consider it BIG enough) news coming from Google+ and Twitter this morning. These updates / changes suggest that both of them taking on Facebook aggressively. Let’s look at them from sourcing / recruitment angles too.
This is Google’s answer to Facebook Fan pages. In recent times, fan pages have become a great tool for recruitment / corporate companies to enhance their employment brand as well as to reach out to wider social media audience. Google+ is now riding the wave by announcing Google+ pages. The page structure is very similar to Facebook Fan page where you can post your openings, comment, engage etc. Instead of “Liking”, you can add this page to your “Circles”. Other utilities include “About” section, Photos and Videos.
One of the interesting functions is Google+ Direct Connect. You can connect your websites to Google+ page. If you are able to convince Google+ algorithm about authenticity and quality of content, they would award you a +operator. This makes your page searchable on Google with + operator. There are few live examples like +Pepsi.
Although at this point of time though the structure looks pretty simple and much like Facebook, I am sure that Google has bigger plans in overall social media strategy. This platform gives Google+ a huge advantage for attracting company / individual brands to connect and engage audience. For recruiters, it is just another online place to showcase brand and jobs for now. However, keep watching this space.
Twitter adds News Feed (Activity Tab)
One of the reasons Facebook has been successful to attract and engage large audience is due to their “News Feed”. This feature lets user know more about what their friends are doing with 2nd level friends. Thus resulting into knowing new people, what they do and enhanced engagement overall. Even though this feature has come under some criticism due to security concerns, it is like a “Newspaper” putting up hot stories from their friends which you can not resist to read.
Twitter has been very conservative till today by adopting a very simple and straight forward philosophy of showing only twits from your connections. Starting today, Twitter has powered “@username” tab displaying various activities for your own account. This includes people who re-tweeted your twits, newly followed people along with your mentions.
The more important change for me however is their introduction of “Activity” tab. This tab tells you about what your twitter connections are up to J. You can now view new accounts they are following, any favorite twits they have added, new addition to lists etc.
Utility for Recruiters?
- You can now keep a tab on new accounts your candidates are following. A great way to know their friends / colleagues / connections in a same industry / company.
- Uncovering new lists they are been added to.
- Any other advantage you can think of :).
Social Media is slowly but surely is establishing as a big buck business. LinkedIn and Facebook has already proved their market worth. The good part – this competition will provide a gate-way to some great innovations and experimentation in social media space. Businesses are learning from one another and providing better value proposition for customers. Enjoy them until they are free….
- Vineet’s Session on Fundamentals of HR Leadership – My Takeaway – Nasscom HR Summit 2013
- Introducing Graph Search – Facebook Opens the gates for Candidate Sourcing
- India Sourcing Survey Results – Onward & Upwards
- Diversification Trend in Indian Job Portal Industry
- Facebook releasing a Job Portal App – What and Why?
- 12,295 hits
Search inside the blog
- I'm at @CapgeminiIndia (Pune, 412114) 4sq.com/1bzT3Yq 3 hours ago
- #Capgemini Content TechnoVision 2014 String Of Silos - InnovationProcess On The Fly #4 String of Silos An end-t... ow.ly/2C3UBi 19 hours ago
- RT @vvbellur "5 Lessons from LinkedIn’s Top Company Pages #branding" ow.ly/rGWTc 23 hours ago
- #RajinikanthCV @Shinedotcom Only Rajnikanth can test all the testing tools. 23 hours ago